27 Sept 2011

PLEASE, drop the "s"!

I'm a part-time graphic designer. I used to be full-time, but times, they are a-changin'. And so when I stumbled on this mousepad by w+k studio, I had a good chuckle.


Mousepad by W+K Studio


Where did the term "graphics design" ever come from? Sorry if I come across as nit-picky, but if I may speak on behalf of graphic designers everywhere: the "s" really bugs us. Grammatically, it also irritates me. It takes a noun (graphics) and uses it as if it were an adjective. I've never heard anyone say, graphics arts, so why do they think it's okay to say graphics design?

Who added the unwarranted "s", I've often wondered? One thing is clear: it's a term coined by people who probably don't understand graphic design.

I envision a conversation that probably went something like this:

Accountant: "So, you're a designer, huh? What exactly do you do?"
Designer: "I'm a graphic designer. You know: websites, logos, illustration, brochures... graphics in general, really."
Accountant: "Oh, so graphics?"
Designer: "Yep."
 Accountant (inside his head): "Uh huh. I get it. A graphics designer."

No comments:

Post a Comment